The international union of the magistrates was been founded in 1953 to Salzbourg (Austria). His seat est,depuis his constitution,établi to Rome (Italy), said Palazzo Giustizia,Piazza Cavour.
The following magistrates were part of the first presidential committee of the international Union of the magistrates:
- M.Ernesto Battaglini,avocat general near the final Court of appeals of Italy
- M.Karl Wahle,president senatorial to the final Court of appeals of Austria
- M.Edgar Costa,president of the court superior electoral to Rio of Janeiro (BRAZIL)
- M.Jean Reliquet,procureur of the Republic to Versailles (FRANCE)
- M.Anton Konrad,president of the Bayerischen Landesgerichtes to Munich (GERMANY)
- M.Alphonse Huss,conseiller to the Superior Court of Justice of the Big Dukedom of Luxembourg.
Following its statutes, the international Union of the magistrates, that has no political or union character, follows the following goals:
- Safeguard the independence of the strength judiciaire,condition essential of the jurisdictional and guaranteed function of the rights and liberties of the man.
- Safeguard the constitutional position and moral of the judicial strength.
- Widen and perfect the knowledge and the culture of the magistrates while the placement in contact with their colleagues of other countries and while their permit to know the judicial systems foreigners and their fonctionnement,ainsi that the foreign rights, specially under the angle of their application.
- Student in certain common lawful problems in order dégager,tant in the national interest that in the one of the regional communities or universal ,a better solution of these.
These goals are realized by the following means:
- Organize congresses and meetings of commissions of studies.
- Exchange cultural reports.
- Promote and intensify reports of cordial friendship between the magistrates of different countries.
- Favor the assistance mutual insurance company between the associations and the national groups; intensify the exchange of information and facilitate trainings of magistrates in different countries as well as stays of relaxation;
- Implement all other mean accepted by the central Counsel.
The associations of magistrates of the following countries adhered to the international Union of the magistrates as early as his creation: l’Allemagne,l’Autriche,le Brésil,la France,Irlande,l’Italie and the Luxembourg.
Belgium quickly was invited to participate in the activities of the international Union of the magistrates. A committee having for mission to realize the adhesion to the Union of the Belgian magistrates then was constituted.
The French magistrates and Italians represented to the international Union of the magistrates them own association or committee national.Les magistrates Belgian not possessing any national association, l’ adhesion of the Belgium to the international Union of the magistrates could not take the form that of an individual adhesion of magistrates.
These observations were reaches to the knowledge of the president of the international Union of the magistrats.En February 1956 was been founded the Belgian Section of the international Union of the magistrates that, since always worked lors,a actively within the international Union of the magistrates.
The Belgian Section was been founded by the following magistrates:
- General M.Fr.Dumon,avocat near the Course of cassation,depuis prosecutor general close to this course.
- M.R.Polet,conseiller to the court of appeals of Liège,depuis to counsel to the final Court of appeals;
- M.C.Schilling,conseiller to the court of appeals of Brussels.
- M.A.de Vreese,conseiller to the court of appeals of Gand,depuis president of section to the final Court of appeals.
- M.R.Charles,procureur of the King to Bruxelles,depuis prosecutor general near the final Court of appeals.
- M.R.Warlomont,vice-président to the court of first instance of Brussels.
- M.P.Grondel,substitut of the prosecutor of the King to Brussels.
The Belgian Section successively was presided by:
- M.Fréderic Dumon,précité
- M.Alphonse of Vreese,précité * M.Raymond Screvens,président of the final Court of appeals.
- M.Ivan Verougstraete,président of the final Court of appeals
- M.Guy Van Gerven,avocat general near the military Course.
- M.Michel Joachim,premier president of the court of appeals of Cork.
- Mr.Louis Denecker,procureur of the King to Courtrai
- Mrs Joan Prignon,juge of peace of the district of Fléron.
- M.Dominique-Richard Vandorpe,conseiller to the court of appeals of Ghent
She currently is presided by Mrs Viviane Lebe-Dessard,conseiller to the course of the work of Cork.
Since his creation, the international Union of the magistrates knew a constant growth. She groups together currently magistrates representing sixty nine countries of all the continents.Cette extension drove to the constitution of regional groups:
- The group européen,ou Association European of the magistrats,qui meets of the magistrates of thirty-seven countries européens,auxquels adds Israel
- The group ibéro-américain
- The African group
- The group ANAO (Asie,Océanie and North America).
The international union of the magistrates furnished a work of study considérable.Trois commissions of study initially were set up that respectively know questions of judicial organization and of statute of the civil straight magistrats,de and of procedure civile,et at last of penal right and of procedure pénale.Sous the impulse of the Belgian Section recently added a fourth commission of study devoted to the questions of.
The esteem of which the Belgian Section enjoys within the international Union of the magistrates is testified by the circumstance that the presidency of the commissions of study often was confided in Belgian magistrates:
- M.Fréderic Dumon presided the first commission of 1961 to 1970;
- M.Ernest Krings,procureur general near the Course of presided cassation,a this commission of 1976 to 1995;
- M.Guy Delvoie,président of room to the court of appeals of presided Bruxelles,a the same commission of 1995 to 2001;
- M.R.Screvens presided the third commission of 1984 to 1995;
- Mrs Linda Sevens,juge to the court of police of presided Anvers,a the third commission Of 2000 to 2003;
- Mrs Viviane lebe-dessard; presides the fourth commission since 2000.
Alphonse of Vreese then of the congress of the international Union of the magistrates met to Nice (France) of the 4 to October 6 1972, presided the symposium devoted to “adaptation the judicial structures to the penal modern right ends”.
Alphonse of Vreese exercised of October 6 1974 to October 16 1976 the function of president of the international Union of the magistrates, that beforehand had been taken care of June 13 1963 to October 15 1965 by Frédéric Dumon. M.Louis Denecker for his part exercised the function of vice president of the international Union of the magistrates of October 1999 to October 2004.
The Belgian Section of the international Union of the magistrates is very appreciated within the regional group européen.Elle was designated as organ of liaison of the European Association of the magistrates with the European Union. She participates as expert to many lawful works.
By the bias of the magistrates of liaison of the international Union of the magistrates with the United Nations, to New York and to Geneva, the Belgian Section uniformly worked to the respect of the rights of the homme.Elle participates besides to the creation of a course of the human rights and peoples to Ouagadougou(Burkina-Faso).
The Belgian Section of the International Union of the magistrates contributes also to the works of the “righting wrongs Fundacion in el Mundo”. This foundation is the organ of the international Union of the magistrates in the domain of the study and recherche.Son sits is at Alicante (SPAIN). She uniformly publishes works of compared right and assures the formation of magistrates.